Sunday, September 1, 2019

Speaking a New Language Is Hard

Sunday, 1-September-2019, 7:44 PM CDT


Yo yo and greetings from Mexico! Things have been going wonderfully here.
The second week of classes at TEC Tepexi is in the books, and we’re ready to move
onto the third. I’m going to write about a topic I’ve been thinking a lot about--talking.
We do it every day--if we’re able--and it’s the alpha of the four areas of language
(sorry, Writing, but it’s true, I still love you the best). We talk to our friends, we talk
to children, we talk to our family, our pets, ourselves, our coworkers, strangers, people
we don’t want to talk to, people who are dead and plants to help them grow. We talk
A LOT, and that’s great for an ESL learning community--if you can get people to talk
English.
My students speak a lot of Spanish in English class. Initially, I was frustrated by this.
This is English class. Why aren’t they speaking English exclusively?
The answer was simple and twofold--they don’t know enough English to say what
they want to say, and they like to talk. People gon talk yo, so as ESL teachers we have
to capitalize on this human propensity. 
There are amazing ELTs (English language teachers) out there who don’t speak
another language, but that experience would be valuable. I remember during PST
when we had our language and culture classes. They were by far my favorite part of
training and the most useful. I was afraid to speak Spanish. I didn’t have the words or
grammar to say what I wanted to say, but I spoke anyway. It rarely made grammatical
sense, and even today my sentences are formed using my own rules for Spanish
(largely derived from English) and not the prescribed ones. But my utterances
almost always convey the messages I want them to. If you want to learn a new
language, or anything, don’t be afraid to make mistakes--that’s where learning
happens. Now I need to instill this intel in my students. I’m expecting success from
the beginning, which is a HUGE flaw of thought. The students and I have, I think,
two years together, and we will refer to the title of this blog often.
So, how can I get my students to start speaking English? Man, I wish I knew,
but, unfortunately, I forgot my vials of English Ilixir in the states, so I guess I’ll have to
do it the ole fashioned way, which is...uh...I don’t know. Seriously. The silent period,
or in this case the frequent use of native language period, is totally common, and
even linguists don’t know exactly why language learners are often reticent and
reluctant. They have a pretty good idea though. 
Students need to be comfortable, and most are in our learning communities--I think.
And they also need to be confident. If they say something that I understand, even if it’s
not “correct,” I say, “Very nice!”. They need opportunities to practice the other areas
of language, in addition to speaking. I need to arrange ways for them to practice with
each other, or me, by giving them the phrases they need. And like all learners, they
need the discipline and desire necessary to start thinking in English and producing
utterances in English. 
I’m determined to see them all succeed. I knew my writing would take a backseat
while I was here, and I was ready for that. In addition to the Peace Corps’s goals, I
have two of my own--become a better teacher AND a fluent Spanish speaker. If I work
hard toward both every day, willing to make mistakes and learn from them, I will be
successful at the end. Just like HTD said, “If one advances confidently in the direction
of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with
a success unexpected in common hours.” 
Ok. Now for the random wrap-up. I’m integrating well into my community. I play for
the TEC Tepexi basketball team of students and teachers on Saturdays. I also play
volleyball in a nearby pueblo, San Juan, on Thursdays. After my clothes go through
the washer, I have to wring the soap from them using a washboard. When given the
option between two exam dates, students chose Thursday the 12th over Friday the
13th. Spanish uses one verb for both wait and hope (esperar), which is cool.
Today there was an election for mayor in my pueblo, La Colonia, before which a little
town hallish event took place. Also, a couple drops of mezcal works magic for the
digestive system. Things I miss from home: my family and friends, June, Fall :(,
high school and college football, Screamers, craft beer, and camping down the river.
But it’s all good. That’s all for now because cousin Korah just said to me,
“¡Vamos a comer, Kory!” Ah the beauty of speech.


Till next time. Thanks for reading.

A butterfly on my favorite type of flower here. 
My host brother Miguel and I 



Robby Porto, his host mom Titi, Miguel, and I after swearing in 
Coolest cathedral in Puebla City, forget what it's called




1 comment:

  1. It is an honor that you are our English Teacher and it is something that I will make the most of these classes
    Very good page greetings

    ReplyDelete