Sunday, December 8, 2019

Training in Querétaro and México City

8-December-2019, Sunday, 7:30 PM CDT

Two days ago marked six months for us in Mexico. In one half year there have been plenty of ups and downs. At times I feel like I'm on the homestretch of the Phoenix and riding the bunny hops that come with serving as a PCV. Thanks to my fellow volunteers, our Mexican counterparts, and the wonderful PC Mexico staff, this past week was a definite upswing for me--for all of us I'd bet. The last post was one week ago today, before I saw Doctor Sleep (thought it was very good, maybe a bit biased because I read the book and there was a Ka reference). Here's a recap of what went down during Early In-Service Training (EIST).

I am realizing once again that I need to take better notes so I can narrow down the content and deliver a more focused piece of writing. Oh well. The first two days of EIST were in Querétaro, where we were trained before shipping out to our posts. I didn't know how much I missed all of my colleagues until we were reunited in our first Mexican home. Sometimes it takes time away from people and places to realize how much we appreciate them. The first days in QRO started with Spanish classes. I was glad to see how much I and other volunteers had progressed in our new language. Later we got to share about our first three months at site. Four minutes was not enough time for any of us--I'm sure we all could have talked for 40--but I shared how well I integrated with my family in Tepexi and how my counterpart Hugo and I need to change a lot in order to better work toward Peace Corps's goals, which are right here by the way because you probably don't know them.

1. "To help the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.
2. To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.
3. To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans."

I'm doing just fine with Goals 2 and 3, but need to change a lot for next semester to achieve Goal 1. This semester, which was amazing, I taught five classes on my own. On its own, there's nothing wrong with me teaching five classes by myself; those students benefit from a native speaker and certified teacher leading their learning; but it's not the sustainability we're looking for. The old give a man a fish adage comes to mind. I gave fish to over one hundred students for an entire semester--I believe I gave some of them nets and rods as well--but what TEC really needs are good English teachers that are going to stay long after I'm gone. For the next semester, Hugo and I need to focus on co-teaching and improving together as instructors.

On Wednesday we drove two hours southeast to the capital of Mexico and an absolutely massive, sprawling city, the city, if you will, Mexico City. Jeezooey, what a place man, an amazing place. I couldn't help but gawk at the sights of houses crammed together, stretching across the land and disappearing over the horizon and rascacielos, skyscrapers, shooting out of the earth's surface and striving for the clear blue skies. It was a fantastic feeling to be with a group of people that I'm growing so close to, experiencing something new together.

We checked into the hotel and had lunch around one. At two we made the short walk to the place that I had been looking forward to seeing--The Benjamin Franklin Library. I'm not going to lie, I was expecting a building more architecturally more impressive than what we saw, but it's all good. The library is a federal building, so we had to go through metal detectors and take of belts and all that jazz to get in. Once inside we had sessions on grant money available to fund our work here in Mexico. There was a virtual scavenger hunt that I would've taken more seriously if I'd have known there was a prize. Instead I was more interested in revisiting Franklin's Virtues, via his autobiography, specifically the one on chastity, which I've included below.

"Rarely use venery but for health or offspring,
never to dulness, weakness, or the injury of your own or
another’s peace or reputation."

That night, with a 10 PM curfew to keep us safe, we hit the town. We started in a big group that split off shortly after a picture in front of Palacio de Bellas Artes (Palace of Fine Arts). Rob and I, with our counterparts, toured CDMX's small Chinatown then went to find some food and a few drinks. After a brief stop at Bar Florida--which proved to be sufficiently seedy--we walked through Alameda Central, the city's equivalent to Central Park, albeit significantly smaller--though CDMX beats NYC in both population and area, I believe. From Bar Florida we went to Bukowski's a bar/restaurant/cafe/bookstore where we met two lady Brits and an American. Here I sampled a mezcal that I really liked called Murciélago, which means bat in English--like the flying mammal. We sang karaoke and connected with everyone we met until the responsible hour of 10 PM, at which time we returned to the hotel.

The next day's training was very useful, as we learned co-teaching strategies and some best practices for teaching in general. That night we headed back to QRO, crammed tight into a Sprinter van where we watched two of the three Taken movies and chowed down on rest stop tortas. As we were rolling into our city, Bohemian Rhapsody came on the radio and we jammed as a team until it gave way to Eminem's Without Me.Once at PC Mexico headquarters, we threw open the Sprinter's door with Marshal blastin and were met with a widely-grinning Josh Spetter, our Director of Programming and Training.

On Friday, I led a brief introduction to classroom management, ad hoc, using the "toolbox" I compiled under the direction of one of the best teachers in the world--Dr. Thomas Starmack. A few of my colleagues are teaching English though their backgrounds are not in education. After twenty minutes, they said the session was useful and that they were given strategies to better manage their classrooms at post.

I spent last night in QRO and travelled home to Tepexi today. Last night my good friend Joe and I watched the BIG Ten Championship with some American businesspeople/Ohio State fans. It was nice to speak English and watch football for a while with them. I was also pleased to discover that none of them spoke English, while Joe is fluent is Spanish and me approaching advanced. My dream of speaking/listening in secret is coming true :) It's truly fabulous to be here teaching, learning, and living in Mexico.

Till next time. Do your best and don't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment